Saturday, January 19, 2008

Back to Normalcy

The past month has been incredibly busy and incredibly wonderful. It started with Mom and Dave coming for a week and a half right around Christmas. Even though their trip was cut short because of all the canceled flights, we packed everything into the time they had here, and it was great. We took them to several villages, and I was so proud of the way that they handled the uncomfortable and different experiences. Neither of them were just huge fans of the food, but they ate it like a champ 4 different times. We also went on a safari and saw all the major animals that you can see at Queen Elizabeth. I don't have time to tell all the funny stories from that day but a few include my mom getting dangerously close to both a lion and a hippo and communicating to some of the elephants in a language that only she knows. It was a great day and we laughed a ton.



Mom and Dave also got to experience a float trip through grade 1 and 2 rapids on the Nile River. They were both a little nervous, and we couldn't convince them to get in and swim with us, but overall they were tough. We also ate dinner overlooking the Nile and watched a beautiful sunset. Even though they were only here for a short time, they got to see so many different parts of Uganda. God blessed us with safe travels (which is a miracle if you ask them) and he took care of us when Uganda was experiencing a serious fuel crisis. God is so good to his children.



I loved sharing my home here with them, but my favorite part of having them here was definitely getting to share Christmas with them, even if it was a little late. And no I'm not talking about the gifts that they brought from many of you (Thank you SO much by the way. You guys helped to make us feel very loved!). I'm talking about sharing our experience of giving gifts and having a Christmas party with our Ugandan friends. They got to see the joy on our friends' faces when we gave them their gifts. I know that God showed Mom and Dave a lot through this trip, and I think much of it came through experiencing the joy that our friends have despite the hard things that they deal with on a daily basis.



Two days after Mom and Dave left, my lifelong friend Jessica Sloan came to visit. I've known her since I was about 8 when we met at church camp. She is one of those old friends who knows everything about me and loves me anyways. I was SO excited to have her here and be able to share Uganda with her. While she was here we went to 2 villages, went on yet another safari, and spent a few days with our other church camp friend Jody in Jinja. It was so good to see her and share our lives together for a few weeks in person rather than through email. I'm so thankful for a friend who is willing to make the trip all the way to Uganda to share in my life in this way. I am so blessed to have her in my life. God really blessed our time together, and he continues to teach us more about life in him.



After this busy month, I could not be more thankful or more tired. It was such a huge blessing to have people that I love come spend time with me here in Mbarara. It's great to know that when I go back to the states, at least three people, four including Desarae, will be able to understand more about this place because they have spent time here. That is a huge gift that I am so grateful for. Now it's back to normal life here in Mbarara. We start teaching on Tuesday after a month off, and all of our friends come back from holiday in about a week. So the hostel won't be empty for much longer, and we're so excited to start our weekly bible studies up again. Right now we're enjoying a few days of rest and a long time without traveling anywhere! I'm so thankful for a home here in Mbarara that feels so much like home to me. It's great to be home, and it's great to have so many wonderful memories from the last month.

No comments: