Friday, June 29, 2007

Refiner's Fire

God is constantly teaching me things here in Mbarara, and tonight was no different. Friday is a long day for us here, and today I was especially tired after our first full week of school. We have youth night every Friday night at 5:00 either at the church or at the church office. Youth is kind of a relative term, as anyone who is single and unmarried can come. It's a really great time for us to build relationships with the guys and girls who are around our age. We usually play cards or volleyball and then end with some time of worship. It's always great. It's always uplifting, but tonight staying at home and relaxing sounded so much more tempting. In fact, I was kind of having a bad attitude about going if we're going to be honest. I just wanted to stay home and be lazy. But I went, and God really humbled me tonight.

When we got there, everyone greeted us. I don't just mean they said hi and kept playing their game. They stopped their games to extend their hand or give us a hug and remind us that "You are welcome!" To us that sounds like a response to someone saying thank you, but here they say that the first time they see you for the day so that you are reminded of how welcome you are here in Uganda. Desarae and I made our way to the back table where our friends Bob, Nicolas, and Winne were playing a game. Immediately Bob and another guy stood up and gave us their chairs so that we could play. We spent a long time (D-rae claims it was 40 hands) playing cards with Nicolas. Then we ended with singing some songs, both in English and in Runyonkore. In the middle of one of the Runyonkore songs, our friend Gibrel (who looks remarkably similar to Whoopi Goldberg) came over to make sure that we understood what the song meant. She always makes a point of doing that so we can know what we're singing and understand the meaning of the song.

After youth night was over, we made plans with our friend Alexanderson to go to his village on Monday. A lot of people who we've met through church here in town, actually live in villages that can be quite a ways away from Mbarara. Being invited to go to someone's village with them is a pretty special and intimate invitation. Desarae and I are so excited about getting to experience this true side of Uganda. Any picture you have of what you think Africa might be like...mud huts, no running water, very primitive situation..that is what we understand the villages to be like. We're so thankful that our new friends wants to share this with us.

We headed to our favorite grocery store here in town to pick up a few things after youth night, and our friend Wilbur, from church, followed us there. He insisted on buying us something in the store, so we finally gave in and let him buy us some juice. Then as we were walking home, our friends Livingston, Cheeza, and Gibrel saw us, waited for us, and then insisted on carrying our bags for us.

I went to youth night tonight dragging my feet. I would have rather stayed home. But from the moment that I got there, I was continually served. People gave up their chairs, bought me things, and carried my bags for me. They put my needs far above their own in a way that completely floored and humbled me. Accepting this kind of love from these people, who have so little to give anyways, is a very very difficult thing to do at times. It was wrenching my heart to allow Wilbur to buy us something, knowing that he probably struggles to make ends meet every single day. But that is just how the people here are. They have a giving spirit that I have never seen before. They love you before they even know you. They love you simply because you love Jesus. Thank God for the example of what it truly means to be unified in Christ and what it truly means to love and serve others.



As we were walking in town tonight, I saw this. I gasped (Desarae actually thought something had scared me and was worried for a second) at the beauty of this place. But even more than the beauty in the landscape, I notice the beauty of God's people here in Mbarara. He is alive and active. I pray that these people can only rub off on me in the next year to make me more what God wants me to be.

Refiner's Fire. My hearts ONE desire is to be holy. Set apart for you my master. Ready to do your will...

No comments: