Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Mountain Moving Faith

My faith has been challenged a lot lately. Part of it has to do with the Beth Moore study that I'm doing. Part of it has to do with studying the Bible with a friend of ours, who asks deep questions and really makes me think about what I truly believe. Part of it just has to do with life, and the situations that I'm faced with. I've said it before, and I'll say it again...be careful what you pray for. A few weeks ago Des led Bible study with our church girls and she really challenged us all to pray for God to put us in situations that would test our faith. It was a great message, and it has really been resonating in my heart and mind for the past few weeks. Since then, I've made it a daily prayer that God would increase my faith, no matter what that takes. I've been praying for situations that will test my faith, refine it, and bring me out looking more like him on the other side. I've been praying for mountain-moving faith; faith that takes God at his word and believes he is capable of the things he promises. I joked with D-rae the other day that I'm mad at her for that great lesson because since I've been praying that prayer, God has definitely been testing my faith. This kind of testing isn't always fun, but it's always worthwhile.

I love how the Psalmist encourages us in Psalm 66:10 and 12. You have tested us, O God; you have purified us like silver...We went through fire and flood, but you brought us to a place of great abundance. I know that I haven't always passed the tests that God has put before me, but I'm thankful that when I do, I can rest assured that there is something great to come. The two words that stick out to me in those verses are "purified" and "abundance." The testing of my faith purifies me, and the end result is more abundant that I could ever imagine. I just think that's a cool promise to really let sink in and believe.

I was reading in John this morning and something stuck out to me for the first time. The scene comes from chapter 2 when Jesus is at a wedding feast with his mom and disciples. You all know the story. As my New Living translation says "The wine supply ran out during the festivities..." (I don't know why but that makes me laugh a little.) Mary turns to Jesus and says "They have no more wine." Now I don't just picture her stating this as a conversation starter or to fill Jesus in on the current situation. In my mind, Mary is saying "Ok son. This party is about to die without some wine. I know you're capable of doing something about it so could you take care of it?" The significant thing is that this is Jesus' first miracle. He hasn't walked on water, healed the sick, made the lame to walk, or calmed the storm yet. Everyone knows he is special, but he hasn't started displaying his miraculous powers just yet. At first Jesus says it's not his time, but apparently Mary won't take no for an answer. As soon as Jesus declines the opportunity to shine, Mary turns to his disciples and orders them to do whatever Jesus tells them. She's a persistent lady apparently.

I just love Mary in this story. She knows her son is the son of God, and she knows he is capable of incredible things, even though she has not yet witnessed them. She puts him on the spot by telling him about the situation, and then she includes his disciples in on it even though he claims that his time has not yet come. I also love that she believes he can do something about the problem without ever seeing him perform a miracle. She believes without seeing, and she believes wholeheartedly. As we continue reading in the story, it seems that Jesus changes his mind and decides his time as come...it's time for a miracle. I wonder if his plans changed because of the great faith of Mary or maybe her persistancy. Hmmm.....

The best part of the story is that the wine Jesus made was the best wine of the night. This choice wine would've normally been brought out first, and then the not-so-good wine saved for when everyone was too far gone to notice the difference. But Jesus not only made wine, he made the best wine. Jesus is capable of so much more than even his mother or his disciples could have imagined, and I am convinced that he is capable of so much more than we could ever imagine today. I'm convinced that if we believe in him wholeheartedly, the outcome will be the best, not just good, but the best. I'm challenging myself and encouraging you to believe the impossible today. Imagine the unimaginable, and then sit back and watch God work. He will, and you'll be changed.

2 comments:

BAReeves said...

Betsy, I'm thinking about the verse that says seekers for God must believe that he exists. I used to think that was a simple statement. Now, I'm not so sure. I think, firstly, God isn't talking about mental assent that he is real. To believe that God exists completely changes my worldview. I have to jettison everything that gives me comfort and security, and lay myself before this alien (think holy)being in honesty and vulernability. Paul says we no longer see people (or this world) the same way anymore.
I think God knows this is not an overnight process. Rather, I suspectg it may take longer than I have breath in this world.
But, even that means an exercise of faith.
I know you are walking more by faith than by sight, keep it up!
Bryan Reeves

Lauren said...

Betsy, thanks for sharing your thoughts. God does give us what we pray for, just not always in the way we think it will be:) I am being reminded of that constantly in my day to day life with a little one. Glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying your time in Uganda.
~Lauren Orbison~